VOLUNTEERS Giving A Hand Up, Not A Hand Out
Please click on the link to see and print the Participant Brochure for details
We are in need of many VOLUNTEERS for our upcoming 1-day event at Gibson Ranch on 9/28/2017. There will also be preparation and tear down activities the day before and after. Please SIGN UP TO ” VOLUNTEER HERE ” and help us make this a successful event serving homeless veterans in the Sacramento Area.
SSDA 2017 Golf Tournament
Please click on the link to see and print the Golf Brochure for details
To Sign up to Golf online use this link,
WHO WE ARE LET’S TALK
We need hundreds of volunteers for Stand Down to be successful. Roles range from building the compound, Security Personnel, Food Preparation, Paperwork and Data Collection, Communications, and many others.
It is our hope that in creating this website, news of the event will reach more area homeless veterans, inform the public of the event and the needs of the veterans, and obtain much-needed donations of supplies, funding, and services for the veterans.
All the planning and working at the Stand Down is performed by volunteers. Volunteers come together for a 3 day period each year where Sacramento-area homeless veterans and their dependents are brought or come in off the streets and are provided housing, food, and TLC.
Services and Goods provided at the event include:
- Most of the food is provided by Sacramento Food Link or purchased with donations.
- All other funds are donations from Veterans organizations, community-based organizations, or concerned private citizens.
- A court system complete with Public Defenders, Deputy District Attorneys and a judge who adjudicates cases on Saturday
- Only misdemeanor issues from the Sacramento County area are addressed such as: riding regional transit without a pass, illegal camping, sleeping on a park bench, etc.
- All sentences are community service which is completed during the 3 day program.
Social and Medical Services at the event include:
- Fully-staffed VA Medical tents
- Social Security
- Voter Registration
- Food Stamps
- Drug and Alcohol counselors
- Lions Club Vision Screening Van
- VA Vision distributing glasses
- referral for transitional housing
- both treatment and non-treatment facilities
- referrals to California Veterans Homes.
- Free haircuts: A local beauty college provides haircuts Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.
Local bands volunteer from Noon to 10PM on Friday and Saturday and from 9AM until about 2 PM on Sunday.There is an almost-unlimited amount of good used clothing for all participants. The male participants receive new undergarments through the Stand Down Association funds. All overnighters receive a new sleeping bag and heavy blanket.
All PARTICIPANTS MUST UPON ARRIVAL REGISTER AT THE STAND DOWN, and are provided with:
- a comfort kit containing a small soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, towel, etc.
- There are showers on-site. For those staying overnight we provide a hygiene kit for them to take with them which contains full size bar of soap, full size toothpaste, new toothbrush, disposable razor, comb, deodorant, wash cloth, towel and shampoo.
- We ask the community’s support in donating these items – 400 of each – so all kits have the same items.
Traditionally there are 400+ veterans, both male and female, and 50 dependents go through the program. All are verified by the VA that they are eligible for services.
***Attendance at the Stand Down is expected to rise due to the increased numbers of homeless veterans returning from the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars